While strategies like link building and off-page SEO affect your SEO outcomes, 57% of SEO experts say that content creation is actually the most important SEO tactic.
People use search engines to find awesome online content that answers their pain points. Every Google search is an opportunity to connect with these users and promote your business.
But if you’ve ever tried writing blogs before, you know how time-consuming it can be. If you’re trying to grow organic traffic with SEO content writing, it’s even more difficult.
That’s why brands hire multi-talented SEO content writers who specialize in writing content optimized for search engine users. SEO content writers are both great writers and skilled SEO specialists with expertise like:
- Keyword research
- Keyword density optimization
- Meta description writing
- Alt-text writing
- Internal links
- External links
- Calls to action
When you hire the right SEO writer, you’ll not only save time and create content consistently, but boost your organic traffic over time.
3 tips to vet SEO content writers
SEO and content go hand-in-hand, and that’s why you need a specialized writer on your side. The problem is that SEO content writing is several disciplines rolled into one job, so it isn’t easy finding qualified writers.
When it’s time to get serious about your SEO strategy, use these 3 criteria to vet an SEO content writer.
1 - Always read their portfolio
Any writer worth their salt will have a portfolio for you to check out. When evaluating their portfolio, look for:
- Specialization: Does the writer have industry-specific examples they can share? For example, if you’re a B2B business, do they have B2B examples? Not every writer will specialize in your niche, but it’s best to go with experienced writers whenever possible.
- Grammar: If their portfolio is laden with spelling errors and bad grammar, that’s an immediate red flag. Only work with writers who have full command of your language.
- Personality or writing style: Is the writer’s style a fit for the tone you’re looking for? If you need a corporate tone and the writer’s portfolio is playful or casual, it might not be a good fit. Their content should also read naturally; nobody wants to read keyword-laden jargon! A talented SEO content writer balances keyword optimization with readability.
2 - Evaluate their SEO processes
If their portfolio looks good, schedule a call with the writer. Use this as an opportunity to vet their SEO knowledge.
How do they go about keyword research? How do they integrate keywords into their pieces? Are they familiar with internal and external linking, and anchor text?
You should also ask about the tools or software the writer uses. Many SEO content writers rely on tools like Ahrefs or Yoast to optimize their content. If they don’t use any tools, that’s a red flag that suggests they aren’t an actual SEO content writer.
3 - Ask about their offerings
Every writer has a different workflow. You want to pair with a writer who will work best with your needs. Ask if they offer:
- Revisions: How many revisions are included in your package? You always want revisions included in case you need the writer to rework part of the piece.
- Image sourcing: Can they source images for the blog? This is an easy win for image alt text optimization, so some writers are happy to source royalty-free images.
- Content uploading: SEO content writing takes a lot of time, but so does posting the content to your website. If you want a more hands-off experience, ask your writer if they can add the content to your website.
You also need to evaluate the writer’s consistency. Search engines reward websites that consistently share high-quality content. Make sure that your writer can fulfill a set amount of content every month without missing deadlines.
The bottom line
Great SEO content writers are like finding the Holy Grail. Writing talent is a must, but SEO expertise is equally important. Of course, you can always partner with an agency to source SEO writers, too. Your agency can manage everything on your behalf, saving a lot of time and hassle. If you’re hiring a writer yourself, follow these 3 criteria to evaluate your writer so you hire the best, most knowledgeable content writer for your SEO projects.
Curious where your SEO stands right now?
Get your free, personalized SEO recommendations now; no strings attached.